Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Spiced Almonds

Last summer, during a trip home to Vancouver was when I discovered Ayoub's Dried Fruit & Nuts shop in English Bay. We were initially drawn into the store by the elegant Persian decor, but after a few samples, we were all hooked and had to make a few purchases. 

Ever since, I've been dying to make my own! I made a batch of candied almonds (see recipe here) around Christmas, but now it's time for a savoury version. My first attempt turned out pretty good, but being the flavor-fiend I am, I think I'll up my spice measurements for next time! The recipe written below already  reflects my flavor adjustments :)

  • 1 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne
  • 1 egg white
  • 2 cups almonds
Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray (I didn't have any on hand, so I lightly rubbed a stick of margarine over the baking pan). 

Preheat oven to 275°F.  

Measure out the spices in a large bowl and mix together.

In a separate bowl, whisk the egg white until foamy.

Add 2 cups almonds to the egg white, using a spoon to mix well and evenly coat the almonds. 

Transfer the egg white coated almonds to the large bowl and mix well again to evenly coat with spices. 

Spread evenly on the baking pan. Bake for 45min. Let cool completely before storing in air-tight container. 

No comments:

Post a Comment