Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

BBQ Steak & Zucchini with Veggie Rice Pilaf

When it's Sunday and 24°C, the patio develops an irresistible charm that lures you out with the promise of a light breeze and a sturdy ledge to rest a couple glasses of California red upon. With Smokey Joe (our portable grill) practically begging to be fired up, we had little choice but to give in.

And yes, I said 24°C. I was already a pushover when it came to Smokey Joe - I refuse to succumb to this silly Americanism and operate by the Fahrenheit scale! It's true that I wasn't born with a calculator implanted in my brain like my mom (and most stereotype-abiding Asians)... I get that [°F] = [°C] × 95 + 32, but it's not my mediocre math skills that hold me back from this conversion. I may have moved to norCal, but I am Canadian!! Speaking in Celcius may confuse some people down here, but I'm happy to have one more thing that defines me in this extremely populated state. Plus a country that doesn't sell ketchup chips doesn't deserve my mathematical efforts ;) This is probably enough ranting (for now)... so, back to the BBQ! 


Serves 2
  • 2 steaks, size and cut of your liking
  • Steak marinade: 
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1/2 tsp ground pepper 
    • 2 tbsp olive oil
    • 2 tbsp soy sauce
    • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
    • steaks in marinade
    • splash of beer (I used corona)
  • 1 zucchini, seasoned with:
    • 1/4 tsp ground pepper
    • 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
    • 1/2 tsp hot Cajun blackening spice
  • 1 bunch kale stems, leaves trimmed
  • 1/2 onion
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1 inch section fresh ginger
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp coriander powder
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground pepper
  • 1 tbsp sweet madras curry powder 
  • 1 1/4 cup long grain white rice
  • 2 1/2 cups water or low-sodium chicken broth
Start by marinating your steaks in the fridge at least 4 hrs in advance. Combine marinade mix with steaks in an airtight container (ie. ziploc baggy, tupperware with lid, bowl with saran wrap).

seasoned zucchini
Slice zucchini lengthwise into 4-6 thin slices, depending on size of squash. Sprinkle all seasonings onto one side of zucchini. Set aside until ready for grilling. 

Trim leaves from kale, leaving stems only. Store kale leaves in airtight bag/container to keep fresh for other use. Wash stems and dice to pea-size. 

Dice onion. Peel and mince the garlic and ginger. 

curried veggie pilaf
Add small amount of olive oil to non-stick frying pan with lid over med-high. Add garlic, ginger and onion, stirring for 3min.  Add diced kale pieces and stir for another 3min. 

Add seasoning (bay leaves, turmeric, coriander, cumin, salt & pep) and rice, stirring for another 2min to toast rice.

Add liquid, reduce to med-low, cover with lid and cook until all water is absorbed (approx 15min).  Remove from heat. Fluff before serving. Add salt to taste. 

While the rice is cooking, take steaks out of the fridge so they get closer to room temperature, fire up the BBQ and get ready for grilling. Place zucchini straight on the grill and let cook for 15-20min.  

I like my steak to look like sashimi on the inside, whereas B likes his medium-well, so time the grilling of the steaks so they are ready at the same time as the zucchini! 

No comments:

Post a Comment